2/21/08

My Man Friday


Robinson Crusoe
I am as far from a literary snob as one can get. remember me? Dean koontz is my favorite author. But I think I am developing a love of the classics. Now keep in mind when I say this I am listing to the books, usually at work. . I suppose if I had gone to school the normal amount of time, I might have been exposed to these sooner, but you know I hated school and dropped out, as soon I was old enough.
Recently it’s been Anne’s house of dreams, 1984(is that a classic?), and Jane Austen’s Emma what a treat. I love the movie adaptations of Austen’s books but I had no idea of the brilliance of her writing! As Heather would say “very amiable”. But what an awesome book Robinson Crusoe is.
It is a good book just with the pirates, swashbuckler, and castaways. From the beginning it felt like I was reading the Biblical book of Jonah or something like a prodigal son. To some degree I have felt excitement, curiosity, pity, fear, hope and sadness, thankfulness listening to this book. RC makes reference to a little goat with a broken leg that learns to love and follow him. I had this pastor tell the congregation one time, that a Shepard will brake or make lame the leg of a rebel lamb that continuously runs away and gets into trouble. In this state the lamb has to stay close to the master, wrapped around his neck thus pick up his scent and learning dependence on Him. The whole story of Rob is really just that. God’s pursuit of a rebel heart and the castaway stuff is super fun too!!

1 comment:

pondering said...

I love to read! I love to read good classic writing... LOVE IT! My problem is the sleepies! as soon as I get a chance to read I fall asleep. I have the first paragraph to a lot of books memorized.