4/12/08

New foods, better foods

(In advance I apologize for the word Organic)

My goal is to feed my family 80% good whole, healthy foods and 20% not to worry about and inevitably I won’t have control over anyway. So with that said I am trying new heather food to replace the old ones. In our home in the last few years or so these are the changes we have made.

I buy 2% milk
This was a long time in coming. my husband LOVES whole milk. But we did it!

I still have Mac and cheese
But its always organic Annie’s or now trader Joes and I add a green beans to the mix when on hand.

EVOO
I use olive oil for everything.

The spaghetti dilemma
We love spaghetti! love love love it. But more then not, it comes with yummy ( not over cooked ) olive oil skillet garlic zucchini mixed right in .


Organic free range chicken broth

I make soup often and pasta with broth often, but we tossed out the chicken bouillon for the heather lower sodium choice

Costco the healthier snack place!
Costco I love you for addeding heather snack choices
My fav: Multi grain tortilla chips with flax seed

Veggie burgers
We have tried lots of brands in each with its own taste and texture some are fantastic, some like the boca burger would be best eaten right off the grill!

Bread yes, bread
White is not right. Sometime I have to just have French bread but the norm is non white and pita (not the pocket- less kind)

Hummus
Good with mutt grain flax chips and good with pita

dog food
no crap food for my dog! Organic, High Protein for my dupper !

We are on our way to eating better!!

2 comments:

pondering said...

We started ordering from a local dairy in Colorado called "Royal Crest". They get all their products from local farmers and ranchers. It's great, no antibiotics, steroids or other crud. No mass produced foods. Just small town farmers/ranchers selling pure and natural quality foods.
Their stuff is so yummy compared to grocery store products! They deliver right to our door every Wed. morning while you sleep. I wake up Wednesday mornings to a wealth of food sitting in a cooler on my front porch!
I get these things from them:
Milk- We get 2%
Eggs
sour cream
cream cheese
yogurt
cream
Cheese (cheddar, mild, sharp, and sliced American, or string cheese)
bread
Orange juice (obviously not local, but still small business produced, natural, and nothing added)

It's fantastic, I love having half my groceries delivered right to my door and having it be such good quality.

Best of all their prices are competitive with the local grocery stores and they only charge a $3/month delivery charge!

You should see if there is anything like that in Bend, it's a God send for a single/working mom trying to also feed her family healthy.

Her said...

yeah, Costco does have good stuff now. Hey, do you remember that time you came to my house and brought pocket-less pitas? That was awesome.